Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 01:29:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      nordwick@xcf.berkeley.edu
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/8890: system free with X-3.3.3 on current with Trident 3Dimage985 AGP card

>Number:         8890
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       system free with X-3.3.3 on current with Trident 3Dimage985 AGP card
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        current (as of 11/28)
>Environment:
FreeBSD beastie.citycom.com 3.0-19981122-SNAP FreeBSD 3.0-19981122-SNAP #0: Fri Nov 27 01:28:36 PST 1998     root@beastie.citycom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/BEASTIE  i386

When the X server is started (even though SuperProbe correctly detects that card and memory) with acceleration turned on (the "noaccel" option is not supplied), the monitor flickers to change modes, and then the system hangs, not even allowing me to drop to KDB.
>How-To-Repeat:
make sure you are using the Trident 3Dimage985 card (I have 4M on it)
install XFree86-3.3.3 and configure it without 'Option "noaccel"'
startx and watch it hang

>Fix:
The quick fix is to turn acceleration off:
add 'Option "noaccel"' to the Device section of /etc/XF86Config