Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:07:46 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Ajitesh K <freebsd@infoglobe.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD - Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Warning message : Timecounter was not properly dismounted

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 12:50:21PM -0500, Ajitesh K wrote:
> Hi friend,
>=20
> I am get this  warning / error message. What should I do?
>=20
>     pop3.mail.com kernel log messages:
>     > Timecounter "TSC"  frequency 133637174 Hz
>     > WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
>=20
> Is it some thing to do with CPU. Please guide us.

No. The Timecounter line is not part of the error message -- in fact
it's perfectly normal.

The problem is that your root '/' filesystem was not properly
dismounted when you shut down.  That's usually because you don't run
the proper shutdown(8) command, maybe even because you just hit the
power switch.

To shutdown and power-off the system you need to run:

    # shutdown -h now

This will leave the system in a state where it is safe to turn it off.

Where your motherboard has support for the facility you can add ACPI
or APM support to your kernel, which will permit you to use:

    # shutdown -p now

This will shut everything down as for 'shutdown -h' but also
automatically power down the system.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20