Date:      Sat, 17 May 2003 11:09:14 -0500
From:      "Bill Doman" <bill@squirrel-solutions.com>
To:        "Trish" <failte@sentex.net>, <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: To freeBSD or not freeBSD

Hi Trish,

I was looking to replace a Windows-based mail server in our office a couple
years ago and considering using Sendmail on Linux.  I'd installed a couple
different Linux distros (Debian and Mandrake) and hadn't found much use to
them, frankly, and ultimately not pursued the OS.  A fella at my ISP
recommended looking into FreeBSD (it's what they and many, many other ISPs
use).  After looking at the pros and cons and buying FreeBSD Unleashed and
installing a copy from the included CD, I was hooked.  I like the fact that,
as opposed to Linux, there's just 1 version and the software going into it
is controlled more tightly.  This gives me assurance of stability and
relative security, compared to Linux, where there are umpteen different
flavors with some aiming to be cutting edge and others being conservative
and unless you buy support a generic "Linux" question on a newsgroup may get
you an answer that's right for the distro the respondent is using, but not
right for your flavor.  I've been very pleased with the performance, the
ease of upgrading (generally) and the stability of the system.  I've since
registered a domain and set up my own mail server at home (partly out of
frustration with the problems the ISP I use here seems to have with their
servers, and partly to have another box that's less critical that I can just
play with) and installed, deinstalled, upgraded and just fooled around with
a couple other boxes.  If we didn't have so much proprietary stuff that
requires Windows servers, and if there were the depth of knowledge available
for Netware, I'd take our whole network to FreeBSD.

Oh, yeah, and with the latest version of KDE, it's a very respectable
desktop system for anyone not needing to run MS software.

Bill