Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 23:05:41 -0800
From:      Chris Doherty <chris-freebsd@randomcamel.net>
To:        paul van den bergen <pvandenbergen@swin.edu.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make in ports versus pkg_add

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 05:58:40PM +1100, paul van den bergen said:
> Hi all,
>
> dumb q warning
>
> it seems to me that doing an install from /usr/ports/... is fine and all, but
> how do you do an uninstall?
>
> ok, with pkg_remove or pkg_delete, this is not a problem... but how does pkg
> know???

the pkg_* tools get that information from the directories in /var/db/pkg,
which contain files with dependencies and packing lists.

I prefer to use pkg_deinstall, which has support for wildcards and
dependency recursion (if I delete a package I can tell pkg_deinstall to
delete everything depending on that package, so I don't end up with
packages broken because I deleted something they need).

also note that pkg_* take specific package names, and not port names:
i.e. I have to use "zip-2.3_1" and not just "zip".

if the port version has not changed (e.g. the version of zip in
/usr/ports/archivers/zip is still 2.3), you can cd to the ports directory
and type "make deinstall". it's always worth a shot: if the port version
has changed it will just say "Port is not installed", with no harm done.

HTH,
Chris

Chris Doherty
chris [at] randomcamel.net

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat
all our provisions now, so we won't have so much to carry."
               -- A. A. Milne