Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 10:01:51 -0700
From:      John Derk <johnderk@infoserve.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   File Systems and Disk Space

Hi.

A df on my system has indicated the /usr slice is at 100% of capacity
(of 479,783k). I have only been running bsd for a short while. I have a
win95 box with a 1.7G hd--where about 650M are allocated to bsd. I did
use /stand/sysinstall to add some ports/packages, but I didn't think
they were going to take up too much space. Also, there were frequent
onscreen reports of some kind of error while the packages were being
added. I know, I know: "WHAT error?" you ask. Unfortunately, I have no
log of this to offer, but I guess it was obviously to do with running
out of space, no? At any rate, this brings up the question:

If a guy has about 650M to work with, wants to run freebsd 2.2.6, and
basically can content himself with being able to network two PCs, run
netscape (& XWindows), and learn to set up his printer, how feasable is
it?

Also: I plan to probably reinstall bsd from scratch, unless there is an
easy way to find out what I can delete to regain the needed space. Is
there?

Next, a documentation question: I tried my best to find out about the
above issues by checking the Handbook and manpages, etc., but could not
find a comprehensive explanation. I had hoped to find info about the
following:

     1. How to determine optimal file system sizes for setup of /swap,
/usr, and so forth
     2. How to prevent overloading of various disk slices (e.g., I know
cron is supposed to be something to watch out for)
     3. Which files to suspect first, when the file system is at
capacity. I.e, which files most commonly proliferate to the point where
all space gets used up

Can someone suggest a specific source that addresses any/all of the
above? (The more the better, because I would like to get a detailed
understanding)

Thanks,
John Derk <johnderk@infoserve.net>