Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:27:36 +0200
From:      Dominik Lupinski <yhpx@alpha.net.pl>
To:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what does the 'f' option do with the tar and jar commands?

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 01:46:30AM -0700, Bsd Neophyte wrote:

> > > now what happens if you don't specify a location for either command?
> >   Can't you just try? :) Or read again what is written in the manual.
> > You have already quoted answer to your question.
> First I don't have access to a *nix box, and I need to have this cleared
> for tomorrow.

  Ups... be my guest then ;)

> Second, if I understood what the manual said, I wouldn't be asking for
> clarification. ;)

  Let's try to archive file file.txt:

me@ember:~$ ls -l file.txt*
-rw-r--r--   1 me  users     21 Apr 18 12:06 file.txt

me@ember:~$ tar cf ./file.txt.tar ./file.txt

  'f' option allowed us to specified the name of the archive file and place
  where we want to put the archive file.

me@ember:~$ ls -l file.txt*
-rw-r--r--   1 me  users     21 Apr 18 12:06 file.txt
-rw-r--r--   1 me  users  10240 Apr 18 12:08 file.txt.tar

  Ok, seems to have tar working for us. :)

  Let's try to not specify 'f' in the tar command:

me@ember:~$ tar c ./file.txt.tar ./file.txt
tar: can't open /dev/sa0: Device not configured

  Oops! tar tried to open non existent device to put archive file in there as
  it has said that in the default configuration which doesn't require to
  specify anything with 'f' option it should work in this way. :)

  As I said in the part of jar manual it works similar. Instead of default set
  to the archive device jar has your screen as the default.

  Hope you understood my english and I am not mistaken about the manuals ;)
--
0A 0D 0A 2D 2D 20 0D 0A 44 6F 6D 69 6E 69 6B 20  ...-- ..Dominik
4C 75 70 69 6E 73 6B 69 20 2F 2F 20 79 68 70 78  Lupinski // yhpx