Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 18:06:00 +0100
From:      "Remco van 't Veer" <rwvtveer@xs4all.nl>
To:        Jeff Dalton <jeff@aiai.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is ant good for?

The main advantage of ant is portability.  Ant features alot of
nice build-in tasks for coping/deleting files, java stuff like jar
javac javadoc rmic etc, execution of sql statements via jdbc,
processing of xslt, downloads ala wget, cvs stuff, applying
patches etc. etc.

It's quite powerful.  It is relatively easy to write a build.xml
which downloads all needed sources, compiles and installs.
Adding new specialized tasks isn't very hard either.

I see alot of messages in this thread stating ant will work out
dependencies between files.  I guess people are refering to the
javac task.  In my experience it does not work out dependencies.
Try compiling to classes A and B, with A depending on method
B.something().  Now edit B and remove the something() method then
recompile again using ant and you will see only B will be
compiled.  No errors, no warnings, but A is not functional..

HTH,
Remco

--
Our duty is to execute a strategic plan to visualize our leadership
skills so that we may produce money for our executive officers.