Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:19:52 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jonathan Graehl <jonathan@graehl.org>
Cc:        Freebsd-Net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Linux Vs. FreeBSD Networking Performance

* Jonathan Graehl <jonathan@graehl.org> [010322 11:13] wrote:
> Interesting topic in the linux kernel mailing list (Linux is "a lot" faster than
> FreeBSD):
> http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/latest.html#2
>
> I came to use FreeBSD from Linux for servers because of kqueue.  I stayed
> because I liked the entire system.  I'm sure that Linux does TCP processing as
> fast as possible, and that in-kernel servers (NFS and the TUX webserver) are
> blazingly fast.
>
> I do have Linux 2.4 running on an old machine, but I have no intention of taking
> down my FreeBSD box to dual boot Linux just to compare penis size.  Has anyone
> recently done so?

I can tell you that Linux kernel NFS is only about 3 years old,
when introduced it was terrbily buggy and didn't do NFSv3 or tcp
mounts.  We just found an annoying interoperability (sp?) bug in
it less than a month ago.

However, Linux is also a lot faster than FreeBSD, it also scales
better than Solaris, renders faster than IRIX, and makes your hair
fall out faster than HPUX.  It slices and dices and leaps tall IPOs
in a single bound.  It's kept simple so that "over-engineered"
things like kqueue aren't brought in, but a full fledged webserver
in kernel space is... because... uh because...

Scuse me, I need to go post on slashdot or something...

Represent yourself, show up at BABUG http://www.babug.org/