Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2006 22:10:14 +0100
From:      Chris Whitehouse <chris@childeric.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading Ports on 5.3

Chris Hill wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, Ron wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to use the current ports system if I am still running 5.3?
>
> That's the only way.
>
>> I really need to update subversion, mysql, plus make sure I'm running
>> the latest versions of other software, but since 5.4 came out (and now
>> 5.5 and 6.0), I am no longer been able to get new ports.
>>
>> If change my cvs-supfile to be:
>>
>> ------
>> *default tag=RELENG_5_4
>
> I second what Bill Moran said: "tag=." for ports. I keep two separate
> supfiles - one for the system, another for ports. (I'm also running 5.4
> on this machine.) I'll send them to you off-list if you want.
>
> If you still have the original ports tree from when you installed 5.4,
> it's kind of long in the tooth by now and there may initially be a
> certain amount of dependency hell, but I'd bite the bullet and do it
> anyway when you have a free Saturday; it will fix a lot of problems, and
> will be less trouble down the road.
>
>> If someone can point me to some specific information that will help, I
>> would be very appreciative.
>
> What I usually do is
>
> # cvsup -g /etc/cvsupfile.ports   <- my ports supfile with "tag=."

I've found the very excellent portmanager walks through most complex
updates. It will only upgrade ports that need it but if yours are old
that probably means most  so it's going to take time.

portmanager -s will tell you what needs to be done
portmanager -u -l will do it. If you are upgrading jdk14 run make -n in
the java/jdk14 directory and manually fetch any files it wants into
distfiles/. Also I run portmanager -s > some.file to get a list of what
needs doing, then use some.file to make a script that looks in each port
directory that's going to get upgraded and does make config - then
portmanager can pretty well run unattended. (I'm still experimenting
with the make config bit so ymmv)

Chris