Date:      Sat, 09 Jun 2001 23:14:14 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        "Jonathan C. Frazier" <admin@csocs.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual boards

At 08:34 PM 6/9/01 -0600, Jonathan C. Frazier wrote:
>Has anyone seen/heard any information on dual boards
>for AMD >1GHz or P4's?  As far as I've heard, there
>is no such thing yet, but they were working on it.  Any
>recent information on release dates any of you know about?

Tyan has one.  Expect announcements in the coming month or 2 from other
manufacturers.  They require the MP version processor (for stability),
which is also an update to the core and a shrink to the .13 micron die.  Of
course it might be possible to use non-MP validated processors, but results
might vary.  The first MP processors will be clocked down a bit to 1.2 GHz.

Would be rather expensive at this point, seeing as only one board is out.

And there is the question of any issue FBSD might have running on the
board.  No clue is the "Smart SMP" AMD talks about might require different
coding.  Hope not, might be a while before it's useful.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve