Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 05:14:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@zwb.net>
To:        bfarina@venture-1.com (Bill Farina)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UseCanonicalName Question

> There is a line in Apache's httpd.conf file that says;
>
> #UseCanonicalName on
>
> Mysteriously, Apache started refusing to boot with an error message saying
> that it was unable to get the canonical name.  I was a bit flustered, but I
> commented out the above line and everything seemed to work fine.  Now I'm
> noticing that there is an error message showing up in /var/log/messages
> saying:
>
> Jun 25 13:52:55 ns popper[350]: (v2.41beta1) Unable to get canonical name
> of client, err= 0
>
> Something has changed or become corrupted, but I have no idea what it might
> be.  I'm guessing that it's a BSD problem since both sendmail and httpd are
> having trouble with it.

A Canonical name (or CNAME) is a DNS term.  In case of Apache, it couldn't
look up the value in one of the "ServerName' directives.

In case of qpopper, I think it can't reverse-lookup an IP (i'm not sure
about this).

Hope this helps :)

> Any ideas?

Dima Dorfman (dima@zwb.net)
AlternativeNet Server Administrator: inferno.alternativenet.org

Microsoft: How long do you want to wait today?
FreeBSD Rules!  Micro$oft Sucks!  http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/