Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 16:24:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>, Tomer Weller <spud@i.am>, "<ports@freebsd.org>" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: KDE programs won't compile

> How do you mean "depreciated"?  Should users not set it, or
> applications not check for it, or what?
[...]
> The 2.0 kdelibs/README states:
>    IMPORTANT: most applications need KDEDIR as the directory where KDE is
>    installed.  Please set this in your login file.
> Of course, this could be out-of-date.

Yes, I think this is out of date, I've just let intertia set in, and
haven't removed it.  I seem to recall a bunch of discussion about the
removal of the KDEDIR variable, but as of yet, I still see a lot of
getenv("KDEDIR").  Actually, I just checked this, if $KDEDIR isn't set it
uses the compiletime default, so yes, KDEDIR isn't really needed, as long
as ld can find the libs, and gcc can find the headers.

> I do not know of an alternate mechanism.  A brief examination of the
> 2.0 kdebase and koffice configure.in's do not immediately reveal one
> either, other than --prefix.  Is this the accepted method, then?
> What if a user wants to install something in a different place than
> the rest of KDE?

I think this is generally frowned upon, but I know kdebase has
--disable-path-check, and I guess if something is based off the "KDE
autoconf gunk" it could easily include that switch.  If a program doesn't
use autoconf or doesn't have the switch, you're stuck manually copying
files.

According to Stephan Kulow:

<coolo> blarf: the program has to KStandardDirs::registerPrefix()
<coolo> for now it just won't work

(I'm rather pissed at KStandDirs right now anyways for breaking some stuff
I spent time fixing, but that's another thread).

> Which configure script did you take this from?  I see the same code in
> many bits of KDE itself.

kdebase.  Well, 90% of the autoconf code is shared between all the kde
modules.  It's been setup in the CVS/CVSup module kde-common if you want
to take a look.

- alex