Date:      Sat, 03 Apr 1999 16:34:06 GMT
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        yutas1@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help

yutas1>    I'm a little bit confused with the the adding of ip's. Like lets say
yutas1> my host of the server is hokaido.ne.jp. I want to make a host that is
yutas1> like hi.my.name.is.james.hokaido.ne.jp, how to i do that.

A computer that is connected to the Internet has an 'IP address'.
All of the Internet uses 'IP Addresses', such as 210.152.82.59
That is convenient for computers to use.

But not convenient for people.
There are 'servers' called "Domain Name Servers" (DNS) that translate
between IP Addresses and numbers.
DNS Servers are sometimes called 'named' (name daemon)
and 'bind' (Berkeley Internet Name Daemon).
Example:  Somewhere on the Internet there is a DNS server
that is responsible for 'chipchat.ne.jp'
I have programmed this DNS to say:
 'www.chipchat.ne.jp' is a name for 210.152.82.59

If you want to assign your computer a name like 'james.hokaido.ne.jp'
then you must talk to the person responsible for the DNS for 'hokaido.ne.jp'.

If you dial into the Internet (most people do) then you get a 'dynamic'
or temporary IP address.  Each time you dial in you might get a different
address.  It is difficult to assign a name to an address that changes.
Most individuals do not have official DNS names for their computers.

Companies often have 'permanent' Internet connections.
It costs much more than individual 'dynamic' Internet connections.
These companies will have several 'static' (not changing) IP addresses.
Then it is easy to assign a name to each address.

yutas1> Can u help me
yutas1> out. How to i add the host and how do i remove the host. Its all
yutas1> connected with the command ifconfig, route, netstat and ping right. Im
yutas1> not really sure. I read the ipaliasing page, but im still confused. can
yutas1> u help me out.

To setup FreeBSD for hostname and IP address, it is easy.
But it requires agreement with your Internet Provider and their DNS servers.
Otherwise, nobody but yourself can know about that name.

If your Internet Provider sets up DNS for you, then you edit
'/etc/rc.conf' for hostname and IP address.
FreeBSD will use 'ifconfig' to setup your computer from '/etc/rc.conf'
automatically when you boot.

'route', 'netstat', 'ping' are useful programs, but not directly related
to giving your computer a name.

To learn more, read about "Domain Name Service".

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat