Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 21:21:26 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Woody <woody@localline.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updates

Hi there,

On Fri, 03 Jul 1998 at 12:26 SAT, Woody wrote:

> I am the new security admin here at localline....I am not too familiar
> with FreeBSD and the way you go about getting updates for various binaries
> and what not that can cause nasty things to happen to your system. I am a
> big Linux user and used to, say, Red Hat's format....how do I go about
> getting updates for the version we are running which is 2.2.6?

Fortunately, I think you'll find that the fact that there's more centralised
control over FreeBSD's development means that it's also easier to get
authoritative updates.

There are many ways to keep your FreeBSD pathed up to the moment.  One way
would be to use CVS or ctm to keep your source tree up to date, and recompile
frequently.  Read the Handbook to see how!  ;-)

At the very least, you should subscribe to the freebsd-security mailing list,
where FreeBSD security advisories will be posted when they appear.  Usually,
acting on an advisory means installing a patch against your kernel, and
recompiling it.

If you say you're a new security admin there, I take it you've been moving
jobs lately and might be out of touch.  Are you aware of some of the security
problems of the last few weeks, e.g. the BIND hole, the qpopper hole, the
mscan nuisance and even the IIS ASP problem?

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878