Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 03:09:19 +0200
From:      Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   DANGER: login and friends with libscrypt/libdescrypt

I've just been bitten by the following, so I figured I might as
well warn others. From a quick glance it doesn't seem to have been
mentioned, or not clearly enough, in this list.

	- libscrypt/libdescrypt major number has been
	  bumped a few days ago.
	- /usr/bin/login and friends are now linked against libscrypt
	  instead of libcrypt.

The bottom line is, if:

	- you don't have crypto sources on your machine
	- you were using a symbolic link from libcrypt* to
	  libscrypt*/libdescrypt*
	- you used that to link to an old libdes binary

then ***test*** your compiled login binary before you reinstall
everything.

Thanksfully I kept an older -current on another machine from which
I could find a working copy of login, which saved me from totally
ruining my night.

But I'll be sure to install complete crypto sources first thing
tomorrow morning on my machines.
--
Pierre Beyssac		pb@enst.fr