Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 19:45:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Named and Reverse DNS lookups

On Wed, 1 May 1996, Nate Williams wrote:
> However, how do I setup my Reverse DNS stuff?  I tried this, but it
> didn't work.
>
> primary   96.76.127.206.in-addr.arpa   newmt.rev

It will work, but you need the cooperation of your upstream provider
who gave you the subnet.  They need to set up _their_ reverse dns to
handle this.  Your reverse dns, aside from the extra octet in the
newmt.rev entry, will look pretty much normal.

If they haven't done so already (looked into this) point them at
draft-ietf-cidrd-classless-inaddr-00.txt on (I think) rs.internic.net.

It took a couple of readings before it soaked in, but once you get it
it's _why didn't I think of that!?

We have one customer running a delegated reverse subnet and several
customers running "normal" subnets that we maintain out the the same
class C.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow