Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 1996 16:06:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>, FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, ben@narcissus.ml.org
Subject:   Re: multi-group file access techniques / directory hardlinks

On Thu, 26 Dec 1996, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Charles Owens wrote:
>
> >    1. The file system does in fact support directory hardlinks.  (This is
> >         true at least to some extent, since the '.' and '..' entries are,
> >         in fact, directory hardlinks.)
>
> see below.
>

> >    2. Certain key tools do _not_ understand directory hardlinks.  The ones
> >         that I know of are fsck, rm, and rmdir.
> >
> >    3. The official FreeBSD stance (that I seem to be hearing) that
> >         directory hardlinks are unsupported is based on:
> >
> >         a. the insufficient status of the tool support (previous point)
> >   -  and/or -
> >         b. the fact that directory hardlinks are dangerous in the
> >                 hands of the uncareful.
> >
> > Am I correct here?  Would someone in the know provide clarification?
>
> the KERNEL now disallows the 'link' operation on directories.

Ok... that's very clear, but a bit terse. :-)  What I'm digging for above
is an expression of the rationale for this disabling (_not_ that I
disagree).  I certainly can see that directory hard linking should be
disabled as long as support in the basic tools (rm, rmdir, fsck) is
incomplete (otherwise it's a major head-ache for the user).  ...But if the
tool support was made complete I'm not so sure that this kernal disabling
is the way to go.  Perhaps there could be a options flag in the kernal
config file to force directory linking to be allowed for those who need
it.

> > As I stated in my original posting (on Dec 18), my goal is to come up with
> > an optimum technique for allowing multiple groups controlled access to a
> > file tree.  (To my surprise, I had very little response to this posting,
> > which deals with what I think is a rather interesting challenge.  If you'd
> > like me to repost, please holler).  Essentially I'm trying to achieve a
> > subset of the functionality offered by Access Control Lists as implemented
> > in AIX et al.
>
> I never saw the original posting.

I've reposted it...
---
  Charles Owens                                  Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X