Date:      Mon, 6 May 1996 09:06:51 -0400
From:      Jeff Uphoff <juphoff@tarsier.cv.nrao.edu>
To:        "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
Cc:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, chat@freebsd.org, pmurphy@nrao.edu
Subject:   Re: [Forwarded e-mail from Alexander O. Yuriev]

"mcm" == matthew c mead <mmead@Glock.COM> writes:

mcm> 	I think it was a comparison to Bill Gates... I seem to
mcm> recall being forwarded that too... :-)

There must be two then; I just found this one in one of my quotes files:

"I think Linus is cuter than that stupid thing with the pitch-fork."

I won't attribute the quote since I don't want to get that person into
hot water too (he's one of the well-known Linux hackers).  :)~

mcm> 	Awwww, come on!  I had to!  The FreeBSD chat mailing list
mcm> exists for such general chat and frivolous posting purposes!

Sounds like the linux-kernel list sometimes; I've seen higher valid
content ratios on IRC channels.

mcm> 	I don't get that either.  I usually tell people I
mcm> recommend FreeBSD because of certain things, but then tell them
mcm> if there are certain other things they want to do or don't want
mcm> to wait for, they should stick with Linux.  Most people end up
mcm> installing what most of their friends have anyway, which, around
mcm> here these days, tends to be Linux.  You gotta go with your
mcm> strongest peer support network.

100% agreed.

If someone is fairly new to UNIX, I usually recommend Linux to them
since they'll normally have an easier time finding friends that can help
them, and there are a *lot* of Linux books (though only a few really
good ones) available at most decent bookstores now.  There's also Red
Hat, which makes installation, admin., and upgrading a relative breeze.
(When I recommend Linux I usually recommend Red Hat.)

If they're already UNIX veterans, I'll normally recommend that they try
both OS's and then stick with the one they like better.  (Personally, I
tried 386BSD before trying Linux since I was already a SunOS user....)

One nice thing about the FreeBSD world is that it has one "distribution"
so the confusion factor is often a great deal lower; there're no "which
FreeBSD should I try?" type questions....

mcm> 	And I thought Pat was running up the mailq's.  Hehe.
mcm> He's told me horror stories about yours.

I've done `mailq | wc -l` before and seen numbers well into the tens of
thousands before....  <groan>

--Up.

--
Jeff Uphoff - systems/network admin.  |  juphoff@nrao.edu