Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 2008 21:13:12 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        Jerry Rukavina <j.rukavina@attalin.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Computers

--On April 20, 2008 7:13:19 PM -0700 Jerry Rukavina=20
<j.rukavina@attalin.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can=E2=80=99t find any out of the box computers that have FreeBSD =
loaded. Do
> you know which computer manufactures, both laptop and desktop, which can
> run FreeBSD? Do you recommend any particular models or know of which
> ones are more highly regarded? What about support? I am a newbie and
> would need some handholding. I will be using the computer to run a small
> business and online research. I would need the regular suite of
> productivity tools, hopefully an open source. I would like to punt MS.
> Thanks.

FreeBSD, like all open source systems (that I know of), publishes a=20
hardware compatibility list [1] that you can consult to see if the=20
hardware you intend to purchase is supported.  In general, most major=20
manufacturers' systems will work fine, although the newest systems can=20
sometimes be problematic.

The reality is, hardware manufacturers develop their drivers for Windows=20
first.  Linux usually has good coverage because they have a large user and =

developer base.  So, sometimes, you have to use Windows or Linux drivers=20
to get some specialized piece of hardware to work.

One thing you might consider is getting a Freesbie CD [2] and using it to=20
test various hardware systems at a local retail outlet.  That would at=20
least give you some comfort of knowing which hardware pieces work well and =

which might be problematic.

[1] <http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/hardware.html>;
[2] <http://www.freesbie.org/>;

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)