Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2003 19:00:53 +0000
From:      Andrew Sparrow <spadger@spadger.best.vwh.net>
To:        Charlie Root <root@AVelizy-101-1-2-142.abo.wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        Paul Murphy <pnmurphy@cogeco.ca>, Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No xvideo support for ATI Rage Pro?

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 02:58:54PM +0100, Charlie Root wrote:
> According to Paul Murphy:
> > mplayer -vo x11 -stop_xscreensaver -zoom  <filename>
>
> For a full screen on ati I prefere
>
>  mplayer -vo dga -stop_xscreensaver -zoom file.avi
>          ^^^^^^^

You might also like to try:

	mplayer -vo xvidix -zoom -fs (etc.)

This also requires root privs, like DGA (curses!). Unlike DGA, you
can't fix it with SGID perms on mplayer and /dev/mem (which implies
that GtK GUI mode won't work, as this stops running if the EUID is 0)

Xvidix seems to needs to open the video device as root, and there
are only a limited number of built-in graphics devices (happily
from my POV, Mach64 is one of them).

However, I find that '-vo xv' is inferior to both '-vo dga' and
'-vo xvidix' in respect of color (more noticable on some videos
than others).  It tends to win for smoothness of playback, but I
find that I generally get best results with 'xvidix' these days
(which directly supports my ATI Rage Mobility M1, laptop with
PIII-600).

If you've got more CPU horsepower, you may prefer other solutions.

Cheers,

AS