Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 11:43:01 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        dr@chaski.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tracing TCP/IP application response time

On Apr 04, 1998 at 09:23:43AM -0500, Dan Ratcliff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to trace the response time of a TCP/IP application.
> My measurements must be of a resolution that is less
> than a second--milliseconds would be nice.
>
> Is there any utility to do this?  Can anyone recommend a
> no-cost sniffer application?

tcpdump.  This utility will dump the network traffic for your
application, and timestamp each packet to the accuracy of the
kernel's clock.

`man tcpdump' should get you started.  You will also need to build
a kernel with bpf support; eg: put the following lines in your kernel
configuration:

	pseudo-device	bpfilter	4
--
Jonathan