Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 2010 11:44:39 -0500
From:      "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   diskless clients, OpenSolaris servers, NFS errors

Hi,

I'm attempting to boot FreeBSD 8/amd64 and 9 systems diskless, using
an OpenSolaris 2009.06 server.  It seems that I've hit NFS
interoperability problem, and I'd like to know if anyone can suggest
solutions or workarounds, or if anyone else is working on this
problem.

It appears that others have had this problem before, e.g.:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2008-January/022792.html

I asked about this earlier on freebsd-questions, and was referred here
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2009-November/208255.html).
But my earlier workaround of using nfsv2 on 9-current systems doesn't
seem to work for 8-stable.

Symptoms:

The client loads pxeboot, loads the kernel, and proceeds to boot.
Once it tries to mount root, however, I get the error:

NFS ROOT:  XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:/data1/knocker
Lookup of /dev for devfs, error: 13
exec /sbin/init: error 13
exec /sbin/oinit: error 13
panic no init

Packet capture between the FreeBSD client and the OpenSolaris server
show that the client uses NFSv2 to load the kernel after pxeboot.
When we try to remount root, though, the client switches to NFSv3.
When this happens, the server rejects the requests with NFS3ERR_STALE.

I can boot a FreeBSD 9 client by forcing it to use nfsv2.  When I
force nfsv2 on FreeBSD 8, however, I get the error:

Lookup of /dev for devfs, error: 2

Packet sniffer shows the error is now NFS_NOENT.  Yet pxeboot mounted
the root filesystem and loaded the kernel!

I'm happy to provide packet traces, debugging, whatever, to sort this
out.

Thanks,
==ml

--