Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 1999 16:59:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      ""
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dhcp and arplookup/arpresolve messages

Hello

I would like to find out a way to fix this little problem I am having.

I am subscribed with an adsl link. My provider uses dhcp to assign me an
IP address.  So I install the isc-dhcp port and set it up. Evrytime I
boot my box I get an IP from the dhcp server and I can get on the web.

Here is where my problems started... Now evry time I try to start an
application in X I get the following error messages in my xconsole:

Jul 31 16:34:55 Jedi /kernel: arplookup 127.0.0.1 failed: could not
allocate llinfo

Jul 31 16:34:55 Jedi /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for
127.0.0.1rt

It keeps appearing at regular intervals when I try and start applications
in X. It takes 5 to 6 minutes before the app in question actually opens
after. I also noted that when I start an app and look in top the
application state stays a very long time at "connect"

I have contacted isc-dhcp client mailling list I have been told the
problem might be with freebsd, so I'm turning to you guys to give me hand
and help me fix this problem.

Here is information about my setup

Jedi# uname -a
FreeBSD Jedi.sympatico.ca 3.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE #4: Sun Jul 25
15:19:24 EDT 1999     root@Jedi.sympatico.ca:/usr/src/sys/compile/JEDI  i386

Jedi# arp -a
HSE-MTL-ppp4564.qc.sympatico.ca (209.226.107.1) at 0:90:6f:fc:38:28

Jedi# cat resolv.conf
search bellglobal.com
nameserver 204.101.251.1
nameserver 204.101.251.1
nameserver 204.101.251.2

Jedi# cat hosts
# In the presence of the domain name service or NIS, this file may
# not be consulted at all; see /etc/host.conf for the resolution order.
#
#
127.0.0.1               localhost

If other info is needed Please do not hesitate and contact me.
Thank you

-Mike