Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:45:46 -0400
From:      "SILVER, MICHAEL A" <MSILVER@scana.com>
To:        "'Alejandro Heyworth'" <heyworth@digitaldisciples.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: cable modem install....

> Only one computer is connected to the modem at a time and
> they are all
> disconnected from one another.

This rules out a dhcp client conflict.

> >it will ask if you want to set IP6,
> I have been saying no since I don't have a ip6 compliant card.

Same here.

> >  and then ask if you want to search for a DHCP server,
> >this will load the dhcp client and search for an address for you.
>
> I have done all this, but then it tells me that it can't resolve
> ftp.freebsd.org?  I am pointing it to a valid name server, so
> I am still
> confused... IT gives me the same error whether or not I have
> the cable
> connection attached.  This baffles me...

This supports your claim that you don't get an IP address.

> >your network card on bootup?  Perhaps a conflict?
> I am getting a bunch of conflicts, 8 to be precise, but I
> naturally try to
> resolve them... The probe is defaulting to the TI thunderlan driver
> tl0...  I have a compact netilligent 10/100 card in
> there...Do you know
> which is a close match? I am assuming that the one that it
> found is the
> correct one.

I can't say for sure (I am very far from an expert), but I think your
problem lies here.  There may be a conflict that prevents your card from
working properly.  Make sure all your cards/devices are using their own
interrupt and ports.  Another possibility, is that it is selecting the wrong
driver.  I don't know how likely this is.

Is your card conflicting with any other devices?  If so, you must resolve
this before going further.

> >DHCP should assign the DNS servers along with the IP
> address, as well as
> >gateway, subnet mask, etc, etc.
>
> So, what should I do when I get to the screen that asks me to
> configure  the network adapter?  The screen asking me to fill
> in host,
> domain, ip, gateway, etc...  Leave the goodies blank or fill
> them in with
> valid place holders?  This is a question that I had.

At this point the dhcp server should have filled in all the fields but your
host name.  It isn't working if they are blank.

So, first, resolve conflicts with your card, otherwise it may never work.
Does the card have a setup utility where you can set the interrupt and port?
Try a different interupt and port.  If there are no conflicts, try a
different card.  Perhaps the netilligent doesn't like FreeBSD.  Swap with
your windows machine.  I have found FreeBSD is pretty good about
compatility, at least on older semi-decent network cards.  I do, however,
have a few no-names that don't work.

...Michael...