Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2007 11:07:52 +0100
From:      cpghost <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Cc:        hildebeb@mts.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, gldisater@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Torrent Server

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 10:43:01AM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> cpghost wrote:
>  > On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 05:20:50PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > > That's pure speculation (and quite paranoid).  The daemon
>  > > image is still visible on many FreeBSD.org web pages.
>  > > In fact, no less pages than before the contest, and there
>  > > is no indication that it might change.
>  >
>  > However, you've dropped it in favor of the "sextoy" on the
>  > FreeBSD 6.2 DVD case cover (Lehmanns/GUUG, Jan. 2007).
>
> That was the decision of the designers at the marketing
> department of Lehmanns (I'm only responsible for the text
> on the back of the box, not for the overall design).
> Those people have near zero technical nor historical
> knowledge about FreeBSD.
>
>  > Sure, it's not an
>  > "official" DVD, but it does appear in bookstores and is often
>  > the first encounter by newbies to FreeBSD :-(.
>
> I wish it was.  :-(
>
> In fact, the past issues of the Lehmanns edition of FreeBSD
> (including the ones where there still was a large Beastie
> on the front of the box) had rapidly decreasing sales
> numbers.  It's probably because many people now have fast
> internet access (cable, DSL, whatever) and prefer to down-
> load the ISOs and packages instead of buying a DVD-ROM.
>
> We were lucky that the GUUG agreed to sponsor the 6.2
> issue, otherwise Lehmanns would have been forced to stop its
> support of FreeBSD, and the DVD for 6.2-Release would not
> exist today.  I have no idea what will happen with 6.3 ...
> If nobody buys 6.2, then it's probably the last one.

It's obviously the same problem that Walnut Creek faced back
then, when bandwidth was large enough for CD ISOs. That's
very unfortunate, because having FreeBSD CD/DVDs in bookstores
definitely helps getting more exposure. 1 out of 3 FreeBSD
users I know first learned about FreeBSD in a bookstore as
they bought one of the earlier Walnut Creek CD cases.

Good luck with the 6.2 DVD! :)

> Best regards
>    Oliver
>
> PS:  For people who don't know at all what we're talking
> about, here's a link:
>
> http://www.lob.de/cgi-bin/out?isbn=3865411886
>
> The page text is in German, I'm afraid, but at least you
> can see the picture of the DVD box (front side only,
> though).

Regards,
-cpghost.

--