Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 1999 21:45:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        hanche@math.ntnu.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hotswapping devices

It seems Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> The frequent reboots needed whenever you do the most innocent change
> to a windoze machine has always given us u**x users some good
> opportunities to look down our noses at the poor windoze users.
> Hence, it is with considerable pain that I note one situation which
> windoze handles without rebooting, while FreeBSD cannot:
>
> On my Dell Inspiron 3500 (but surely, the same goes for many other
> laptops as well), I can swap floppy drives, CD-ROM players, and Zip
> drives in the media bay without shutting windoze down.  I just go to a
> control panel, click a button, swap media, click a button again, and
> keep right on working.
>
> I wonder what it would take to make this sort of thing possible in the
> BSD world?  The answer I want to hear, of course (but don't really
> expect), is that it already is possible, but that I just don't know it.
>
> So what`s the score?

I have that sortof working with the new ata driver in -current, its
not that difficult to do. The only thing is that you have to umount
etc the devices before they can be taken out, the kernel doesn't like
when inuse devices disapears...
And no, its not in the official sources yet, and wont be for some
time to come, I just wanted to let you know that work is being done
in this area...

-Søren