Date:      Fri, 08 Sep 2000 01:33:17 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        lart@mfn.org ("graphics")
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA66 troubles under 4.0R vs 3.4

On 7 Sep 2000 00:42:02 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>Greg Lehey says...
>> On Wednesday,  6 September 2000 at 20:35:08 -0500, graphics wrote:
>> >     After seeing uncountable sudden "drive deaths" on *brand new*
>> > drives, we did a little digging (thank god for the archives!) and
>> > have noted the many similar tales of woe...
>>
>> "similar" doesn't mean "the same".  What do you mean by "drive
>> deaths"?
>
>Hard read errors.  Hard write errors.  PIO fallbacks.  These are
>things you would normally expect only from a very-soon-to-be

No, not necessarily.  There are some compatility issues with particular IDE
controllers using the ata drivers vs. the wd drivers. Especially some VIA
chipsets as well as CMD. Also, you want to be using 4.1, not 4.0.

	---Mike

Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)