Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:52:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Joshua Lewis" <jmlewis@dslextreme.com>
To:        rpfromuk187@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-newbies Digest, Vol 65, Issue 3

>    Hello FreeBSD.org,
>
>    My name is Sergey Belyankin, I am new to FreeBSD and UNIX in general.
>    I need your help in configuring my video card, at the time of
>    installation I didn't see my card in the list of video cards, so I
>    skipped that step.  Now when I log in and type in startx, the screen
>    turns off.  I am assuming there is a file somewhere that hold the
>    config for the video card, would you be able to tell me what file it
>    is and what I would need to put in there in order to make my
Radeonrecommend
>    9600XT work properly?
>    Thank you,
>    Sergey.
until

Your video card should be supported by the ati driver. You can check:video

man ati

to be certain.

I have only ever configured my X sessions using the /stand/sysinstall
utility. I would recomend you use it as it sets other aspects above and
beyond your video card. As a new user you will would feel more comfortable
there. Run the sysinstall and go down to the "configuration" menu. Then
you can configure X.

I don't want to yell but DO NOT USE THE GUI TOOL.

I have had nothing but problems with that tool. Ever since 4.2 (this was
the first of many times I tried to use FreeBSD). After trying literally
for years (I would try and fail get distracted move to another project
then when I had time come back) untill I found the text based config tool.
It functions much like sysinstall but is way easier then the GUI.

When you are configuring your card in the Text setup window just skip the
vedeo card database and go strait to the ati driver. It is at the bottom
of the list of drivers that FreeBSD has.

I would go though the whole setup don't skip anything. Good luck!

Thank you,
Joshua Lewis