Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 2004 13:46:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "K. Greenwood" <k_greenwood1@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NDISulator (aka. Project Evil) wmp54gs w. bcm4306

Quick question.  Where do queries regarding Bill
Paul's NDISulator go?  I have seen some to current,
hardware, mobile.

Or even better, a howto (the best I have seen thus far
is:)
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-January/019486.html

The following is extraneous info, if someone here can
clue me in.

I have a PCI Linksys WMP54GS (pciconf -vl as follows):

ndis00@pci0:8:0  class=0x028000 card=0x00151737
chip=0x432014e4 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00

vendor  =  'Broadcom Corporation'
device  =  'BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller'
class   =  network

FreeBSD type (uname -a) as follows:

FreeBSD workstation.domain.org 5.3-BETA6 FreeBSD
5.3BETA6 #0: Sat Sep 25 19:41:14 UTC 2004
root@wv1u.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386

The only device that I can find that looks like it is
listed as

pci0: <network> at device 8.0 (no driver attached)

I copied over the win32exe from the linksys site, used
a windows system and got the required files
(BCMWL5.inf & bcmwl5.sys).  Address follows.

http://www.linksys.com/download/driver.asp?dlid=132&osid=6

And attempted the following, as per Mr. Paul's
message.

# cp foo.sys foo.inf /sys/modules/if_ndis
# cd /sys/modules/ndis
# make; make load
# cd /sys/modules/if_ndis
# ndiscvt -i foo.inf -s foo.sys -o ndis_driver_data.h
# make; make load

When I attempt to 'make load' the following message is
displayed.

ndis0: <Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter with
SpeedBooster> mem 0xffef6000-0xffef7fff irq 11 at
device 8.0 on pci 0
ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.0
ndis0: NDIS ERROR: c0001389 (unknown error)
ndis0: NDIS NUMERRORS: 1
ndis0: argptr: 0xc
ndis0: init handler failed
device_attach: ndis0 attach returned 6

And kldstat lists the following:

Id  Refs  Address      Size    Name
1   6     0xc0400000   5b6c5c  kernel
2   1     0xc14f1000   53000   if_ndis.ko
3   1     0xc1544000   d000    ndis.ko

I have even attempted to enter ndis_load="YES" in the
loader.conf, but to no avail.  Also, I have hand typed
these in, so any mistakes are likely due to me typing
in this message.

If you have gotten to this point, thanks for your
patience.  If you have a suggestion, even better!  But
please, type slowly and use small words.  I have the
capacity of an ill trained carp.