Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 13:38:44 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Noone Here <oldtlhingan@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tracking src-all with cvsup (was: no subject)

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Noone Here wrote:

> assuming i am an average user on a stand alone box, what are the minumim
> sources i could track with cvsup? In other words, how much of src-all does
> an average user really need? i'd like to scale down the amount of space my
> /usr/src directory is consuming, but im not sure what i dont need and can
> safely delete (and not track again).

Hello there,

The sources require a few hundred Megabytes.

You should really have the entire suorce tree, as options in make.conf
will enable building of separate parts, and you might find out later
on that you need some part that you did not download. You'd have the
entire source tree handy, just in case.

Anyway, the source is not the main space consumer in a FreeBSD
installation and upgrade.  The object files and libraries that are
created while building the system from sources will require more
space than the source itself.  It is /usr/obj that requires more space
and not /usr/src :)

- Giorgos

PS: You should really put a more descriptive subject to your messages.
    I would have deleted and missed this one, but I randomly picked it
    from the messages without a subject on freebsd-questions.