Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:04:57 -0800
From:      William Richard <wrichard@trivalley.com>
To:        Ken Gunderson <kgunders@hpb50341.boi.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem building KDE 2.2.1 on 4.4-stable

On Monday 19 November 2001 13:57 pm, you wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 08:14:03AM -0600, Mike W4LNA wrote:
> >
> > I rebuilt 4.4-stable after a fresh cvsup yesterday and deleted
> > all of my ports to get rid of some nagging dependency problems.
> > Had the following problem while rebuilding KDE 2.2.1 that I
> > haven't been able to find mention of in the archives:

I submitted PR 32055 about this--libxml2 2.4.10 breaks KDE 2.2.1.  KDE 2.2.2
(and the KDE 2.2.2 port) is coming out in a few days, and theoretically 2.2.2
will be compatible with libxml2 2.4.10.

I fixed this problem myself by regressing my libxml2 port back to 2.4.6, the
last ported version of libxml2.  How do you do that?  Go to the CVS
Repository Web interface <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/>; and go to
ports/textproc/libxml2.  Note the date on which the maintainers updated the
port to 2.4.10 (today it was six days ago), and go through the files in the
port.  If the file was last modified less than six days ago (i.e., it was
modified during or after the switch to 2.4.10), download the revision
immediately before the switch to 2.4.10 and replace the appropriate file in
/usr/ports/textproc/libxml2 on your machine.  If the file is more than six
days old (i.e. it hasn't been changed since the update to 2.4.10), don't
bother.

Once you're done, cd /usr/ports/textproc/libxml2 ; make clean ; make all
install.  Then resume building KDE.

--
Cheers,
William Richard