Date:      Sat, 03 Apr 1999 08:51:21 -0800
From:      Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3C589ET/Boot floppies

I'm trying to do a 3.1 install on my new Vaio 505TX.
I'm using a 3C589ET because that's what Frys had.
To my surprise, the kernel on boot.flp doesn't recognize it. I suspect
that the Card Info has changed. I.e. it probably says "Megahertz"
instead of 3COM or something like that.

Anyway, I'd like to build a custom boot kernel so I can figure out what's
going on, but it's not at all obvious how to do it. The README for
the distribution claims that:
	One positive side-effect of this new organizational scheme, however,
	is that it also allows one to easily make one's own kern or MFS
	floppies should a need to customize some aspect of the installation
	process or use a custom kernel for an otherwise unsupported piece of
	hardware arise.

But it's still not obvious how to do it. Attempts to "make boot.flp" in
/usr/src/release met with a bunch of errors from keymaps about undeclared
initializers in keymap.h.

So, I have two questions:
1. Has anyone gotten a 3C589ET to work. If so, what did you do and
can you send me/point me to a boot floppy?
2. Is there a fairly quick way to make one's own kernel floppies
so I can debug this problem?

Thanks in advance,
-Ekr
[Eric Rescorla                                   ekr@rtfm.com]