Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 13:09:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dfr@render.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_vx warning

> On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > > I just changed the ethernet card in my machine from an SMC 21041 based
> > > card to a 3c590 (quake wouldn't work with the SMC card :-) and I get a
> >
> > Really?  We have Quake running just fine with the SMC card here (and
> > WC has frequent 8-player tournaments using their FreeBSD quake server
> > :-) - what sorts of problems?  Moving from the SMC to the 3COM card
> > is definitely a step backwards..
>
> More specific:  DOS quake using Win95's IPX networking doesn't work on the
> SMC card.  I haven't tried quake under FreeBSD but I would expect it to
> work fine.

Hummm... I guess I'll have to go try Quake on my Novell/Dos/Win95 setup
as I have been running on DEC DC21x4x boards over there for a long time
and have not seen any problems what so ever.

Did you upgrade the Win95 to the latest update kit from MS, I know
Win95 was pretty sick until I did that.  What version is reported in
your control_panel/System_properties/General window?