Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 10:05:56 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dima Dorfman <webmaster@zwb.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fed up with PPP

On Thu, 16 April 1998 at 10:18:18 -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> That's it!  I'm fed up with PPP.  I can't get ANYTHING to work!  I've been
> trying for about 2 weeks, and havn't gotten anywhere.  I tried user ppp,
> kernel ppp, some third-party shareware, and Brian Somer's hacked PPP.
>
> I'm tired.  nothing EVER works!  Every program says my modem is busy,
> however, when I do "echo "AT" >> /dev/cuaa1", the modem light blinks,
> signilizing that it got the signal.
>
> I would like someone to just give me a set of modem commands that I can put
> into a shell script.  I just want standard modem commands (i.e.  'AT', ...)
>  I'm just going to put them into a shell script, and use that, then run
> pppd.  If you don't think that will work, please tell me.

I don't think that will work.

You're obviously having above-average problems.  There are more things
that just the modem commands that you need to consider.  I spend 24
pages discussing setup in "The Complete FreeBSD", second edition
(http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm), and I'm coming to the
conclusion that that's woefully inadequate.

I strongly recommend that you get and read the book.  That should put
you in a better position to debug the problems you're having.

Greg