Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 23:13:48 -0400
From:      "Matt Rudderham" <matt@researcher.com>
To:        <raoul@sirius.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: mysterious power reset (RealTek Nics)

> Hi,
>
> Do you have any more information about realtek nics & power failures?
> Where'd you find out about this?

It was suggested to me when I wrote about the power reset problem on the
list a few months back.

> I've had similar mysterious power resets in an old machine which I
> thought were due to a lousy power supply, but the nic thing makes
> sense since the failures occured after samba clients tried to attach
> to the machine after long periods of no samba activity.

Well, that could be related, although I don't run Samba on my boxes.

> The machine never got more than 30 days of uptime...I've since
> replaced the machine with a slightly newer model, but I kept the
> realtek nic... :) It hasn't powercycled yet, but it's only been about
> a week.

Hopefully that will be a fix, from what I remember I've heard people with
uptimes of anywhere between a reset every few days to every 30 or more who
seemed to have solved it with replacing their NICs. I sure wish I could use
my old trusty DEC de204s again, hopefully the support for that will be fixed
up. They are old ISA 10m-bit, but they ran faster than the IBM NE2000s I run
now.
(Also CC to the list so solutions will appear in the archives):)

- Matt