Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 2003 18:58:11 -0600
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Shutdown for APC Back-UPS 350 CS

At 01:08 AM 1.20.2003 +0100, Mark wrote:
>I know I have asked this before, a month or so ago, but I am still rather
>stuck with this. So, if anyone has a useful suggestion, I would appreciate
>you sharing it with me.
>
>Has anyone ever managed to get the APC Back-UPS 350 CS to shutdown? It runs
>on /dev/ttyd0, with the appropriate cable. But it never sees the power go
>off-line, and, hence, does not go into shutdown mode. :( When I do an
>"apcaccess status", it gives me this:
>
>--------------------------
>DATE     : Mon Jan 20 01:02:14 CET 2003
>HOSTNAME : asarian-host.net
>RELEASE  : 3.8.5
>UPSNAME  : UPS_IDEN
>CABLE    : APC Cable 940-0128A
>MODEL    : BackUPS
>UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
>STARTTIME: Sun Jan 19 19:54:05 CET 2003
>LINEFAIL : OK
>BATTSTAT : OK
>STATFLAG : 0x008 Status Flag
>END APC  : Mon Jan 20 01:02:14 CET 2003
>--------------------------
>
>It all seems dandy, but it just will not notice the power-loss. :( Has
>anyone ever got this to work on FreeBSD 4.7 (the machine the APC Back-UPS
>350 CS runs on)?
>
>Thanks.
>
>- Mark

To do what you want requires a UPS with "SmartUPS" to "talk" to your
system. You have what is referred to as a "dumb UPS". I use SmartUPSes on
"master" machines to tell the "slave" machines when to shut down and other
instructions. The SmartUPSes will carry on an exchange with the machine,
but the dumb ones will not. The slaves are attached to the dumb UPSes for
continuations of power, but the SmartUPS tells each slave what to do and
when to shut down. Each slave must have an apcupsd daemon installed,
running and configured to communicate with the master over the network for
this to work.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator