Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 08:27:39 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Nicole <freelist@webweaver.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help...Unexpected inconsistency

On Sun,  3 May 1998 at 12:54:24 -0700, Nicole wrote:

> Hello everyone
>  I hope that someone can help me with a weird boot up problem.
>
>  All of a sudden a new computer I was working on refuses to boot. The error on b
> ootup is:
>
> <SNIP>
> Starting reboot .. (Or something to that effect)
> Mounts all drives until....
>
> Cannot alloc 8340481 bytes for typemap
> /dev/rsd1s1c can't check file system
> Unexpected inconsistency
>
> What shell would you like.......(Or something to that effect)
>
> At this point I can go into sh and type mount -a and it will mount just fine.
> Also If I comment out that drive, I can boot up and then mount it.
>
> It seems unrelated, but the problem started after I killed a mountd process. The
>  computer paniced and restarted with the problem.

What happens if you boot up with the file system commented out, and
then run fsck against it?  It looks to me like there is some breakage
in the file system which mount hasn't seen, but which causes fsck to
go crazy.  If that's the case, the safest thing might be to back up
the file system, re-newfs it, and restore.  Beware, though, backing up
could cause a panic.

Greg