Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:23:32 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nagy_L=E1szl=F3_Zsolt?= <nagylzs@freemail.hu>
To:        Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail not working?

Derek Ragona wrote
> You need to make sure sendmail is starting and running.  Check your
> rc.conf and any variables that might need to be set.
Thanks!

In my rc.conf:

sendmail_enable="NO"

However, as I wrote, I was using postfix. I'm not a big guru but I
believe that postfix has its own daemon and it has a sendmail binary
that is compatible with the system default sendmail.

Anyway, your comment helped me a lot! I upgraded to 6.2 some weeks ago
and probably I did not reactivate postfix in /etc/mail/mailer.conf.
Additionally, probably I forgot to merge the old mailer.conf with the
new one. I changed my rc.conf to this:

sendmail_enable="NO"
postfix_enable="YES"

Then I started postfix:

messias# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postfix start
postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail system
messias# ps ax | grep postf
68249  ??  Ss     0:00.01 /usr/local/libexec/postfix/master

Yet I still do not get my emails:

messias# mail gandalf
Subject: Test3
.
EOT
Null message body; hope that's ok
messias# mail
Mail version 8.1 6/6/93.  Type ? for help.
"/var/mail/gandalf": 1 message
 >   1 MAILER-DAEMON@messia  Fri Nov 10 12:27  13/664   "DON'T DELETE
THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA"
& q
messias# sendmail gandalf
Test4.
.
messias# mail
Mail version 8.1 6/6/93.  Type ? for help.
"/var/mail/gandalf": 1 message
 >   1 MAILER-DAEMON@messia  Fri Nov 10 12:27  13/664   "DON'T DELETE
THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA"
& q