Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:08:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Unhappy Adobe Customer <bsd_appliance@yahoo.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSSCA?

> "Behind".

AFAIK/R,

In "postfactum, -i", post means **after** (time).

--------------  factum  ------------------  future -->

 ante (before)                 post (after)
  ^
---
(this answers another question of yours)

Post: 1) adv. (space) ~ behind; (time) after. 2) prep. + acc. (space) behind;
(time) after; (rank) behind, as in "nemo post te".

<guess>
In "ex postfacto", the current legal interpretation probably stems from:

------------------- [factum] -------- postfactum ------------ future -->

< -------------------------------- ex post[ ]facto (~ retroactively)

> For example "That's a moot point" is a phrase often used
> to dismiss further argument, but in fact, it means that
> the point is subject to discussion.

I am not sure this is the case.

Moot (< O.E. mot ~ assembly or meeting, cf meet) = 1) "subject to debate,
dispute, or uncertainty, and typically not admitting of a final decision".
2) (US law) purely hypothtical point or question.

I would gather that there may be little point in discussing... "a moot point"
in the USA (which moot point is indeed a matter about which there is
uncertainty), and so it is, er, dismissed. :-)))

-- Salvo