Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 14:35:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rudy Rucker <rudy@pollo.monkeybrains.net>
To:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NIS map for /etc/login.access

You could make the users shell be /bin/ftponly and have 'ftponly' be
something like:

 #!/bin/sh
 echo "Sorry, you are not allowed to FTP to this machine."
 echo "Contact Glenn if you have any questions."

Oh... you will need to add /bin/ftponly to your /etc/shells, unless you
are using something like 'proftpd' which allows you to not check the
/etc/shells file.  I like 'proftpd' because it has the ability to
chroot()... thus, you can hide all the directories except /home from your
users.

Rudy