Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 05:38:48 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: B_WRITE cleanup patch, please test!

It is most ironic that of course you were the loudest supporter of
SOS when he ripped out all my code that did EXACTLY all this.
(I might add that this was done without any warning to me. The
The commit messages being my first notice).

It was fully working and quite a few people were running it at the
time.

It looks like what you are suggesting is pretty much exactly
what I had running so I certainly agree with it. I just am still
still smarting from the fact that it was apparently deleted
simply because it was written by me. It certainly ended most of
my direct involvement with freebsd other than through my work
so I guess it had it's desired effect.

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>         http://phk.freebsd.dk/misc/b_iocmd.patch
>
> B_WRITE is bogusly defined as zero, which is a perfect candidate
> for coding and logic mistakes, we saw the most recent victim of
> this bogosity as recently as a few days ago.
>
> This patch moves the "io-command" aspect of the b_flags into a new
> struct buf field called b_iocmd.
>
> This patch is the first step towards the stackable BIO system as
> sketched out on http://www.freebsd.org/~phk/Geom/
>
> Please test & review.
>
> --
> Poul-Henning Kamp             FreeBSD coreteam member
> phk@FreeBSD.ORG               "Real hackers run -current on their laptop."
> FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!

Unless of course it wasn't written in Denmark

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org
    (   OZ    ) World tour 2000
---> X_.---._/  presently in:  Perth