Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:25:05 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Audio software?

> What audio software packages are folks using to play .mp3 files, .wav files,
> .au files, .mid files, etc?  What packages have a nice X interface?  Just
mp3 - mpg123, and use SajberPlay for a GUI (although I normally just do
mpg123 -z -2 <mp3 dir>)
For MIDI's I use programs which use the wave table (see below).

> looking for some recommendations.  Any favorites?  Why do you like what you
> like?  Is there any tool that is a play-all (can handle MIDI, AU/WAV, and MPE
> audio) all-in-one audio app?  Which ones support playlists?

> Are there any MIDI file player programs that can use the AWE's wavetable MIDI
> synth without additional drivers (I'm using stock 2.2.6-STABLE)?
Hmm.. well you can get a new driver for the AWE32 wave table, but its 3rd
party, and I've only tried it under -current..
Check out http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/awedrv/

|Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
|http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
|The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
|choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |