Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 2003 13:00:38 +1000
From:      Christopher Smith <csmith@its.uq.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird traceroute problem - SOLVED

It appears I've been bitten by a bug in the vlan code.  I noticed while
tcpdumping that the icmp time-exceeded packets were getting back to the
vlan parent interface, but not to the vlan interface itself.  This
thread appears to describe the underlying problem:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
8&threadm=3E05A429.7080506_obluda.cz%40ns.sol.net&rnum=5&prev=/
groups%3Fq%3Dfreebsd%2Bhardware%2Bvlan%2Bbug%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUT
F-8%26oe%3DUTF-
8%26selm%3D3E05A429.7080506_obluda.cz%2540ns.sol.net%26rnum%3D5

And this PR referenced in it has a patch that fixes the problem:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/46405

I'm guessing this will only affect some people, as the problem was
intermittent (depending on the intervening routers).  The ones that
were sending back the ICMP packets that were triggering the bug were
"Cisco Catalyst 6500s running native IOS" (the networking people here
tell me).  Presumably these routers change the priority of some ICMP
packets ?

In any event, can someone please merge the patch in the PR referenced
above into the main source tree, because the problem it triggers is
rather mystifying :).

--
+- Christopher Smith, Systems Administrator
|  Server & Security Group, Information Technology Services
   |
|  The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia, 4072

+- Ph +61 7 3365 4046 | email csmith@its.uq.edu.au | Fax +61 7 3365
4065 -+