Date:      Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:56:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Arne "Wörner" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help with TV capture (mplayer/brooktree/audigy)

--- Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> 	Is there anything I can do to improve that? Perhaps,
> a harder filter looking for those?  I fear that such harder
> filtering will just decrease performance; thus, increasing
> the choking effect.
>
> 	Bear in mind that I do not mind 100% CPU occupancy for as
> long as, I can get good quality TV capture with good audio. :)

I mentioned, that the bktr does not issue a signal for every
expected frame. So I use my own code, that becomes impatient, when
the next frame is due, so that it just takes it (I use this old
mmap access method).  I think, that way I get at least the right
frame rate and possibly even the right frame (maybe the signal
gets lost or so...).

And I run the application with real time priority, because I hope,
that it cannot miss frames as easy as with normal or neg. nice
value.

If you want, I can give you my source code. Here is a little piece
of it (I want 25 fps; those 25 fps are hard coded *blush*):
      tel = now();
      int dt = tel - tnx;
      bool grabNext = dt>=15000;
      if (grabNext) {