Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 17:18:27 -0000
From:      "Scott Mitchell" <scott@uk.freebsd.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dump/restore from Linux to FreeBSD machine

As the subject says, I'm trying to backup the contents of a large RAID array
on a Debian Linux machine and restore it onto an even larger RAID on a
FreeBSD box.  I figured something like this would do the job:

kakapo:/raid# dump -0 -f - /raid/export/cvs | \
  ssh root@kokako 'cd /raid && restore -t -f - > restore.log'

This is just a test -- that's why I'm just dumping a subdirectory and having
restore print the table of contents rather than actually restore anything.
I get the same results if I try to dump the whole filesystem.

When I run this, I get:

  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Nov  7 17:07:50 2001
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/md0 (/raid (dir /export/cvs)) to standard output
  DUMP: Label: none
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
cannot open /dev/tty: Device not configured
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 2952166 tape blocks.
  DUMP: Volume 1 started at: Wed Nov  7 17:08:13 2001
Level 0 dump of /raid (dir /export/cvs) on kakapo:/dev/md0
Label: none
  DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
  DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
  DUMP: Broken pipe
  DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

This was run on the Linux machine.  Note that I had to enter a password to
ssh somewhere in there.

I've tried dd on both sides of the pipe to reblock the dump correctly,
likewise I've tried the -b option to dump and restore to make sure they're
making the same assumptions.  Same result -- dump dies with a broken pipe.

Interestingly, if I dump to a file on the FreeBSD side, then restore from
that locally, all is well.  So it doesn't look like some incompatibility
between dump formats.

What am I doing wrong?  I can probably make this work by dumping the
top-level directories individually to files and restoring locally, or
dumping the whole lot to tape.  But I'd *really* like to know why this is
happening and how to fix it.

Many thanks in advance,

    Scott