Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:52:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: usb audio and midi support

[ Cc'ed to the multimedia list ]

In article <43e7b6cf$1@news.broadpark.no>,
Torfinn Ingolfsen  <tingo@start.no> wrote:

>Mike Scott wrote:
>> I've a rather vague portable digital sound studio project in my mind,
>> involving a laptop running fbsd, plus a usb-based audio and midi i/o box
>> (something like the motu fastlane or one of the edirol boxes or..... [I
>> did say vague :-)] ). The problem being that laptops seem to come sans
>> midi and sans decent sound i/o facilities.
>>
>> But what's the chance something like this will be supported?
>>
>> Any ideas please about what might/will not work?
>
>Sound support (including usb audio) in FreeBSD has improved a lot lately
>(the last year), and is still improving, thanks to the dedicated work of
>the sound committers and other people that hang out at the
>freebsd-multimedia mailing list.
>
>Midi, on the other hand is not in a very good shape. Right now, we have
>approximately zero midi support in FreeBSD. A few people have stated
>that they will work / are working on something, but it seems midi isn't
>attracting a large enough audience yet, or we are missing a crucial few
>dedicated developers with a special interest in midi.
>The minimal audience also means that the amount of possible midi devices
>to test and iron out bugs on are unknown.

I was browsing the NetBSD and OpenBSD websites yesterday specifically to see
what the state of their MIDI support looked like.  Both OSes do support
MIDI, using (I think) hacked versions of the old Voxware drivers which were
also used by FreeBSD "once upon a time".

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to merge in MIDI support from one or
the other of FreeBSD's sibling OSes.  This zero MIDI support has been going
on for far too long (years!).

Has anyone ever looked into this?

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"