Date:      Sun, 07 Jul 2002 13:56:07 -0500
From:      Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
To:        "walid Nehme" <nastylid@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a way not to download packages everytime i need to install them

At 07:29 PM 7/7/2002 +0300, walid Nehme wrote:

>Dear sirs.
>I'm using freebsd 4.6 and i made a program and have to install it on more
>than one machine. i'm using mysql data base php4 apache midnightcommander
>squid, is there anyway to downlaod the ports one time and use them on the
>other computers?

I have a central 'port distfile server' that keeps the master copies of all
my port sources to save bandwidth and more importantly time when building a
port on a new server.

I make this directory of files available via anon ftp to the boxes on my
lan.  Then set

MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE=ftp://YOUR-LOCAL-SERVER/${DIST_SUBDIR}/

in /etc/make.conf.  Now by default any port `make` will try to fetch the
file first from your local server, then failing that reach out to the
global network sites specified in the Makefile.

Notes: Make sure you're running the same ports tree on all your systems, so
that the ports all try to use the same source file that you already have
locally.  Cvsup can do this for you.  You also might want to devise a
system where new distfiles are transferred back to your ftp master so that
if you build a port on anything other than your master, that source will
propagate back and be available to all your leaf nodes too.  I do a daily
nfs copy to achieve this.

--
Christopher Schulte
http://www.schulte.org/