Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 09:16:10 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Bruce Allen <claudevms@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, claudevms@home.com
Subject:   Re: Ready to code... When can I start?

Your MUA is a known rogue which creates badly mutilated text.  In this
message, lines were up to 120 characters long.

On Tuesday, 15 May 2001 at 16:39:45 -0600, Bruce Allen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Operating system internals are fun. I just wish I had more time -
> I'm married!  What can I work on? I once added context switching to
> PC-XINU for the math co-processor.  I have programmed in assembly
> language and I know C.
>
> Has anyone looked at how VMS handles interrupts (HW and SW)? I have,
> but I'm partial to VMS.  How about how VMS does threading? Or
> perhaps how VMS has asynchronous system traps (ASTs) for allowing
> the programmer to do asynchronous programming. NT stole ASTs from
> VMS and broke them. There's many ways to skin the cat - unless you
> are an animal rights person.  I would love to see FreeBSD implement
> an interrptable kernel and support the execution of application code
> in kernel mode through a system call. The global lock approach I
> read about on your site sounds like how DOS serialized its I/O -
> yuk! Other OSes have good features that FreeBSD could benefit from.

I suspect you haven't read the paper at
http://www.lemis.com/~grog/SMPng/USENIX/.  We no longer have a giant
lock.  Note that VMS and UNIX are not very similar under the covers,
and what works (well?) for VMS won't necessarily be appropriate for
UNIX.  I'd recommend that you get more familiar with what we've done
so far, then compare that with the VMS solution.

> The Lustre project is attempting to create a VMS-like distributed
> lock manager for Linux. I am working on doing the same thing for
> FreeBSD since I like the FreeBSD license agreement better. I am also
> working on how to make a share everything cluster work on
> FreeBSD. I'm still in the very early stages.

I can't make much comment about distributed lock managers.  Hopefully
others will chip in.

> What efforts need help? My current job is boring and I miss the hell
> out of software development - however it pays well!

Take a look at http://people.freebsd.org/~jasone/smp/.  There's a lot
of stuff there.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.