Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:42:27 +1030
From:      "james" <wabit@adl.ussr.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Help please - Hard Drive Controller Problem - UDMA66

HOwdy,

I just got myself a UDMA66 controller for my P166, due to the onboard =
hdd controller dying slowly but surely.

I've plugged the card on, turned off the old controller, and then =
attached the drives... The new controller sees the drives with no =
problems (a 15 gig, and a 30 gig)

But when I come to boot the machine up, it all goes normally - finds the =
new controller card no problem; until it comes to mount the root =
partition, where I get the following;

[snip]
ad4:14594MB <ST513320A> [29691/16/63] at ata2-MASTER using DMA66
ad5:29188MB <ST330630A> [59303/16/64] at ata2-SLAVE using DMA66
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
Root mount failed: 6
Mounting root from ufs:wd0s1a
Root mount failed: 6
Mounting root from ufs:ws0a

then it jumps to a "Manual root file system specification" program, and =
gives me options there, and of course, I wouldn't have a clue what to =
type for any of it

THe above happens when I try in boot -s

When I at the boot loader go to the command prompt, and do a lsdev, it =
lists the drives as;

disk1s1a:  FFS 100 MB etc etc etc

(I hope that I've included enough detail for someone to help me with my =
problem- if I need to include more detail, please tell me ;-) - I would =
like to fix/get this fixed)

regards

james