Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 18:38:27 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        Joe Guetler <joe@axiomadvertising.com>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Need a way to duplicate every message on mail server

--HG+GLK89HZ1zG0kk

* Joe Guetler <joe@axiomadvertising.com> [20010517 17:55]: writing on the s=
ubject 'Re: Need a way to duplicate every message on mail server'
Joe> =09
Joe> Odhiambo Washington wrote:
Joe> >=20
Joe> > * Konstantin V. SEMENOV <jhvhs@promavto.ru> [20010517 13:41]: writin=
g on the subject 'RE: Need a way to duplicate every message on mail server'
Joe> > Konstantin>
Joe> > Konstantin>
Joe> > Konstantin> > -----Original Message-----
Joe> > Konstantin> > From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Joe> > Konstantin> > [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf =
Of BSD Freak
Joe> > Konstantin> > Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2001 2:16 PM
Joe> > Konstantin> > To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Joe> > Konstantin> > Subject: Need a way to duplicate every message on mail=
 server
Joe> > Konstantin> >
Joe> > Konstantin> >
Joe> > Konstantin> > Hi everyone,
Joe> > Konstantin> >
Joe> > Konstantin> > I run several FreeBSD mail servers (sendmail) and need=
 a way to
Joe> > Konstantin> > duplicate every user's incoming messages to a single m=
ailbox for
Joe> > Konstantin> > archival purposes. Can this also be done for outgoing =
(SMTP) messages?
Joe> > Konstantin> > Look forward to enlightenment from the list,
Joe> > Konstantin> >
Joe> > Konstantin> > Best Regards...... and thanks in advance..... :-)
Joe> > Konstantin> >
Joe> > Konstantin>
Joe> > Konstantin> use /etc/mail/aliases
Joe> > Konstantin> ie - user1: user1, archive
Joe> > Konstantin>
Joe> > Konstantin> don't forget to execute newaliases afterwards
Joe> >=20
Joe> > What happens if you have over 5K users and they were already
Joe> > existent on the system?? well you can have the file in db
Joe> > format, yes so that it's processed more quickly by your MTA but you'=
ll
Joe> > need some script which can take the output of `ls -1` and append it =
Joe> > the alias file with a ':' and the two names besides it.
Joe> >=20
Joe> > First create the user called 'archive'.
Joe> >=20
Joe> > I am an amateur at this but I believe the script below will automate=
 the
Joe> > process.
Joe> >=20
Joe> > NB: I still DON'T know how to insert TAB character but I believe spa=
ce
Joe> > will do!!
Joe> >=20
Joe> > cd /usr/home
Joe> > for i in `ls -1` ; do
Joe> > echo $i: "" $i, archive >> /etc/mail/aliases
Joe> > done
Joe> > /usr/bin/newaliases
Joe> > exit
Joe> >=20
Joe>=20
Joe> I'm no expert, but wouldn't a procmail recipe be able to duplicate
Joe> incoming and outgoing mail to an archive?
Joe> btw, I just starting learning procmail, so don't look to me to write t=
he
Joe> recipe if it can :)
Joe>=20
Joe> Joe

In that case you'll need to have used Procmail as the Local mailer. You
could have dug deeper and given us a recipe. I use procmail to process my
_personal_ emails but never used it on the main MTA.=20

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington Wananchi Online Ltd.,
wash@wananchi.com 1st Flr Loita Hse

Utility is when you have one telephone, luxury is when you have two,
opulence is when you have three -- and paradise is when you have none.
		-- Doug Larson

--HG+GLK89HZ1zG0kk

--HG+GLK89HZ1zG0kk--